Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tiffany Dyer - Fine Artist


Tiffany Dyer
22 years old
Student earning her Bachelors degree

CONTACT:
Blog. tbdphoto.tumblr.com
Twitter. @tiffanydyer





        I got the pleasure of sitting down with Tiffany while she was printing some of her latest work. I have been blessed of being in the same quarter in school as her and to watch her work develop is so impressing. She has a huge heart and an awesome personality. She’s witty, intelligent, beautiful and a superb photographer. Really excited to know her as a friend and psyched to see where her talent takes her.

What is a little about yourself?
I am 22 years old and I was born and raised in Hillsborough, North Carolina. I have a twin sister and I am the youngest of four. I grew up on a horse farm. My sister and I are claimed to be the two creative ones in our family.

How long have you been into photography?
I shot as a hobby when I was younger but never took any classes. In high school I was more interested in it but wasn't allowed on the yearbook staff so I took newspaper instead and hated it. My high school didn't offer photographer as a class so I took videography instead. I then began working with the Durham Bulls with an organization called the Explorer Post 50. It was a student run program that filmed the home games for the baseball team. That is how I first started getting some experience behind the camera. I got older and was finishing my associate’s degree and contacted the Art Institute for photography. I applied for a photography scholarship and won for the transfer student division. Although stressful I’ve enjoyed it ever since.

Were you “artsy” as a kid? Into drawing or music?
Yes, my twin Kayleigh and I sang in our church’s choir and we danced when we were young. We were homeschooled during our middle school years and found ways to keep ourselves busy. As imaginative as I was, I'm impressed I didn’t have an imaginary friend.


 Do you prefer shooting in the studio or on location?
It depends. I haven't yet figured out exactly what I want to do. Culinary interests me so I probably might work more on location. I’m the kind of person that walks around and finds things to shoot. I do that a lot. It's rare that you'll ever find me with out my camera!

What is your favorite piece of equipment, lens, accessory?
My favorite lens is the 50mm macro. I like my camera but nothing compares to the 5D mark II from Canon.

What is one rookie mistake you see a lot?
White balance!! Incorrect white balance can be an easy fix. I also notice some people over editing their photos. Leave the saturation and contrast alone!

 When you are not taking photos what do you do in your downtime? How do you distress?
I watch a lot of 80’s movies or British Jane Austin type movies. I read; currently into mystery novels. I enjoy going out to get coffee with friends. Thrift stores.

Is there anyone who has greatly influenced your life?
My parents never stifled me in what I wanted to do so they are a big influence. My sister could be a given. Although I can do the photography thing she can do everything else. She is creative, I am almost jealous. Our best friend Tonisha is a big inspiration. She also is so artistic and so creative. I have seen her dance, sing and paint and now she wants to become a doctor. It's inspiring to see her learning to be the best she can be so she can be the best for her patients.

 
Do you shoot with natural light or prefer artificial?
It really depends on what I’m doing. A lot of personal work is shot with natural and available light, but I do love the technical aspect of strobes.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Sometimes I do research on topics or ideas that interest me. I enjoy looking up photographers for ideas and ping-ponging ideas between Kayliegh and I. Sometimes colors inspire me. Songs. Books. Flowers…you know, normal things that get creative juices flowin’.


What is one thing you would like to tell your peers?
My peers need to learn constructive criticism is a good thing! Listen to it and apply it wherever you see it’s appropriate.

What is one dream assignment of yours?
I would just like a job in photography. I know I would not like to photograph senior portraits or babies.

Do you have a mentor or a professor that is pushing you?
Each one of my instructors is incredible in providing me with information and knowledge. My work has improved through their critiques.
 




What is the hardest thing about photography?
The hardest thing about photography is getting models. That’s something I don’t really enjoy.

What is your pet peeve? How do you thing we can fix it?
I don't appreciate the disrespect. It doesn’t happen as much during critiques. It is the small talk after class about someone’s work or what the instructor or something said during their critiques. It really isn't something we can fix as a whole. It will have to be the individual that has to change.


What other photographers do you like?
I like a lot of my peers work. I like David La’Chapelle, Annie Leibovits, Shiloh Strong, and Sean Ocean. I do like all of our instructors work. They are all different and good at what they do.

I know some students are facing criticism and mockery from individuals who do not think photography is a real degree or believe photography is just a hobby. Are you running into that and do you have any advice for those students?

I have never been mocked. People find it cool that I'm doing what I love but are not quiet sure how I will profit from it. In this industry you have to be up to par or you wont get any business and may end up in fast food or retail. 


No comments:

Post a Comment